Marriage Licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, presently located at the Courthouse. Both parties must appear before the Clerk to obtain a license. You may obtain a license at any Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the State of Virginia, as there are no residency requirements. This license is valid for marriages that take place in Virginia.Age
Must be 18 years of age or older.
If either party is at least 16 years of age and under the age of 18, consent to the marriage must be given in person by the father, mother or guardian having legal custody of the minor. Contact the Clerk's Office for instructions for a marriage of a minor under 16.Blood Tests
Not Required.Time Limitations
- No waiting period from date of issuance to marriage.
- No waiting period from date of divorce to remarriage.
- Marriage must take place within 60 days of issuance of license; otherwise it will expire.
- Person authorized to celebrate rites of marriage must return both copies of marriage license to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office within 5 days.
- $30.00 Cash, local check or credit card to pay fees. Please be advised that a 4% or $2.00 minimum convenience fee is charged on credit card transactions.
- $2.50 for each certified copy of marriage license plus current return postage amount.
Certified copies of marriage licenses may be obtained in person or by mail from the Clerk's Office that issued the license. Please send requests by mail.
Marriages are not performed by the Clerk's Office.
The clergy, minister, or other person authorized to perform the marriage must be authorized by a Circuit Court in Virginia in order to perform the marriage.
The marriage license must be returned to the Clerk's Office if not used or if the license expires.
Both you and your to-be must obtain a marriage license through any Virginia Circuit Court Clerk; the Virginia location of your nuptials is irrelevant to the licensing. You may also contact a Virginia Visitors Bureau to get more specific information on local sites, services and marriage commissioners.